You may tell Windows 10 which printer should be used by default for each of your applications. This indicates that the application will make use of the printer that you choose as the default printer rather than making use of the printer that is presently chosen.
If you are using more than one printer or if you share your computer with someone else who wants to use a different printer than you do, it can be difficult to ensure that the appropriate printer is always used. This is especially the case if you want to print something on a different paper size than what you normally use.
How to set a default printer in Windows 10 by Printers and Scanners
1. You may search for “Printers” by either pressing the Windows key on your keyboard or clicking the Windows icon located in the bottom left corner of your screen.
2. From the list of results of your search, choose the option labeled “Printers and Scanners.”
3. Click the check box labeled “Allow Windows to control my default printer,” which is located at the bottom of the screen, and then de-select the option.
4. From the list of available printers and scanners, choose the one that you would want to use as your default device. After clicking on it, choose the “Manage” option.
5.Select “Set as default” after the new screen has loaded. Your default printer should now be set to this device.
6. Click the “Allow Windows to control my default printer” button once again to re-enable the default printer settings.
Set the Default Printer in Settings
You only need to go to the Settings menu in Windows 10 to choose the printer that will serve as the system default. It allows you to print with a click much more quickly on the printer of your choice.
1. Click the Windows symbol in the lower left corner of your screen to open the Start menu, and then pick Settings from the menu that appears.
2. Choose Devices at the top of the window that pops open.
3. Pick Printers & Scanners on the left and select the printer you want to use on the right.
4. Below your printer’s name, click Manage.
5. On the final screen in the process, click Set as default.
Set the Default Printer in Control Panel
Some Windows 10 users still like to use the Control Panel for managing settings and devices. If you fall into this group, follow these steps to set your default printer in Control Panel.
1. Open Control Panel as you usually would. You can also use the Search box to locate it quickly if you have it in your Taskbar. Just enter “Control Panel” into the Search box and select it from the results.
2. Select View devices and printers from the menu that appears in the Hardware and Sound section. If for any reason you are unable to see this option, choose Hardware and Sound from the menu bar, and then select Devices and Printers from the submenu that appears.
3.You may make the printer you wish to use your default by scrolling down to the Printers section, right-clicking the printer, and selecting the Set as default printer option.
Set the Default Printer as the Last One Used
You also have the option, in Windows 10, to make the printer that you used most recently at that location the default printer for that location. Therefore, if you move back and forth between your home and a real workplace, for example, you may configure the default printer to be the one that you used most recently at that location.
1. Navigate to the Settings menu by clicking the Windows symbol located in the bottom-left corner of your screen.
2. Select Devices at the very top of the menu.
3. Select Printers & Scanners on the left side of the screen. Mark the checkbox that says “Let Windows control my default printer” and place it to the right of the list of available printers.
The difference between Set the Default Printer on Windows 10 and Windows 11
Set the Default Printer on Windows 10
Launch the Settings app to begin the process of making a printer the default option in Windows 10. To do this, simultaneously hit the Windows key and the I key.
1. Navigate to the “Settings” menu and choose “Devices.”
2. On the page titled “Devices,” in the sidebar on the left, click the link that says “Printers & Scanners.”
To get to the bottom of the “Printers & Scanners” page, scroll down. Disable the option that says “Let Windows Manage My Default Printer” when you get there. If you leave this option enabled, Windows will prevent you from changing the printer that is used by default.
3. If the option has already been turned off, you do not need to take any further action.
4. Click the printer that you wish to use as the default one under the “Printers & Scanners” section, which can be found on the same page.
5. Click “Manage” in the menu that appears when it has expanded.
6. The page in your printer will now open. To make this setting your default, click the “Set as Default” button.
7. The page in your printer will now open. To make this setting your default, click the “Set as Default” button.
Set the Default Printer on Windows 11
To set a printer as the default in Windows 11, similar to how it is done in Windows 10, utilize the Settings app.
Launch the Settings app by pressing the Windows key and the letter I simultaneously on your keyboard.
Click “Bluetooth & Devices” on the left sidebar of the settings menu.
To examine the printers that have been installed on your computer, choose “Printers & Scanners” from the menu on the right.
To access the “Printer Preferences” section, you will need to scroll down the “Printers & Scanners” page. In this section, turn off the option that says “Let Windows Manage My Default Printer.” If the option has already been turned off, you do not need to take any further action.
To make a certain printer your default option, go to the top of the page and click on the printer’s name.
Click the “Set as Default” button that is located at the very top of the printer’s page.
The end, as they say. Your choice of printer will now be used whenever printing is performed on your computer.
The other ways to set default printer win 10
Set Default Printer Windows 10 via Print Dialog
Step 1: launch Notepad on your Windows 10 device, and from the menu that appears, choose File > Print.
Step 2: On the new window that has shown, right-click the printer that you want to make the default on Windows 10, and then pick Set as Default Printer from the option that appears.
After completing Step 2, you may be presented with a notice informing you that Windows 10 will cease to operate your default printer if you choose to make this printer the default. In the event that you do get the notice, be sure you click the OK option.
Set Default Printer via Command Prompt
Compared with the first three ways, this way is a little bit complicated.
Step 1: Open Command Prompt as administrator.
Type Command Prompt in Cortana’s search bar,
Right-click the most-matched item and then choose Run as administrator from the menu.
Step 2: On the Command Prompt window, type the following command and then hit the Enter key to run this command.
How to Set Your Location to Automatically Determine Which Printer to Use as Your Default and How to Have It Done
You may enable Windows 10 to handle the management of your default printer automatically, as was previously indicated. One benefit is that the operating system will choose a default printer for you depending on your location. When you are at the workplace, the printer at the office will be used as the default printer.
To make this option available, open the Settings app (you can get there by pressing the Windows key and the letter I on your keyboard) and go to the section labeled Devices > Printers & Scanners. After that, make sure the setting that reads “Let Windows control my default printer” is turned on.
When you’ve given Windows permission to control your default printer, the operating system will always make the printer that was most recently used in a given location the default printer for that location. Therefore, whenever you are at home, the default printer will be configured to the device that you most recently used at home. The printer that you used most recently in the workplace will become your default printer whenever you are in that location.
“Why Does Windows 10 Keep Switching Between My Default and Another Printer?”
If Windows continues switching your default printer, there are two possible explanations for why this is happening:
The first reason is that you have the option turned on that enables it to automatically manage your printers. This gives it the ability to do so. Therefore, if you use a different printer in addition to the one that is now set as the default printer, Windows guesses that you now prefer that printer and, as a result, makes it the default printer.
Because of the unforeseen problem, the operating system was forced to switch to a different printer. These types of problems may be caused by a number of different things, including printer software that has become obsolete or is malfunctioning, damaged registry entries, system issues, broken printer cables, and so on.
There are a number of different approaches that you may take to fix the problem and stop Windows from switching your default printer. Regardless of the circumstances, you have options.
F.A.Q Set default printer win 10
How do you set up a default printer?
- Go to Settings, then choose Printers and Scanners, then choose your printer, and then click the “Set as Default” button.
- Right-clicking the printer in the Control Panel’s Devices and Printers section, then selecting “Set as default printer,” will get you to this screen.
- There is also a command that may be used at the Command Prompt to change the default printer.
How to change or set default printer in Windows 10?
- To access the settings menu, first pick the Windows symbol located on the toolbar.
- Please make sure you click Devices and then Printers & Scanners in that sequence on the Settings window.
- Examine the right pane, and then de-check the box that says Let Windows 10 control your default printer.
- Move ahead to the Printers & Scanners section.
How to install and configure a printer in Windows 10?
- Open Settings.
- Simply choose the Devices tab.
- Simply choose Printers & Scanners from the menu.
- To add a printer or scanner, choose the corresponding button.
- Please hold on for a minute.
- Select the option that reads “The printer that I want isn’t listed.”
- Choose whether you want to add a local printer or a network printer from the drop-down menu.
- To proceed, choose the Next button.
How do you reset a default printer?
- From the rear of the printer, disconnect any USB and/or ethernet cable (s) that are attached. When you carry out this task, you need to ensure that the printer is operational.
- Your printer’s cover has to be opened first, and then the cartridges need to be removed.
- After you have finished inserting the ink cartridges, make sure the lid of your printer is closed and wait for the “Insert Ink Cartridges” message.
- You need to disconnect the power wire that is attached to the rear of your printer.
If you are experiencing problems with set default printer win 10, our support staff is here to assist you. This article has a guide that walks you through each stage of the process, and we are here to help you if you need it. Give us a call right this minute!